Home Care Instructions Pre-General Anesthesia Intravenous Sedation
Listed below are instructions to follow prior to your surgery appointment with general anesthesia:
- Refrain from eating and drinking liquids (including water) at least 6 hours prior to your appointment
- Avoid smoking cigarettes, cigars, and vaporized cigarettes at least 48 hours prior to your appointment and 48 hours after
- Ensure that a friend or relative accompanies you to your appointment or picks you up afterwards, as you will not be able to drive or operate machinery for at least 24 hours post-anesthesia.
- Jewelry contact lenses and dentures and braces must be removed prior to your appointment.
- Please inform our surgeons if you are currently taking any prescriptive medications or have any allergies prior to your surgery for advice with the anesthesia.
- Do not wear lipstick, excessive makeup, or nail polish on the day of surgery.
- If for whatever reason you are feeling unwell or have a cold or the flu or any other type of situation, please inform our surgeons so that they can reschedule your appointment.